«Zalesie. From the History of a Glass Factory»: Archivists from the Zonal State Archives in Molodechno have prepared a virtual exhibition dedicated to the famous glass factory

The history of the Zalesie glass factory dates back centuries.

It grew out of a huta plant, which, in turn, served as the basis for the creation of Count Sologub’s Ilyansk patrimonial glassworks, which employed serf labor. Hired specialists were also employed – masters of glassmaking and the blowing of intricate glassware. In the 18th century, the Ilyansk glassworks was one of the five largest patrimonial glassworks operating in Belarus. They primarily produced tableware and pharmaceutical glassware: bottles, quarts, puff pastry glasses, kuflies, flasks, test tubes, and small bottles. The surrounding forests were devastated, and in 1815 the glassworks were moved to the forest-rich Strezhislav prison, and in 1855 to the Zalesye estate (now the village of Partizansky). Here, the glassworks of the same name were founded.

In 1936, the factory closed, but its restoration was completed by mid-1937, and by the second half of 1937, it had begun producing lamp and window glass, as well as pharmaceutical glassware.

Its operations were again suspended due to the outbreak of the Great Patriotic War and the Nazi invasion.

From the first days of liberation from the Nazi invaders, the Zalesye glassworks, like the entire industry in the region, began to recover. Its first products were glassware: glasses, plates, lamp shades, and decanters made of semi-white glass. The product range subsequently expanded significantly.

…Its history ended with the turn of the century: in 2001, the enterprise underwent reconstruction, and in 2003, the Zalesye glass factory ceased to exist and was finally closed due to unprofitability.

The exhibition «Zalesie. From the History of the Glass Factory»