Main menu
Archives and records authorities and the state archives network
Services
Archival directories
Subject guides and databases
Genealogy/Family history
Education
Nation-State Formation in Belarus in 1918-1920s

Survey of documents relating to architectural works located on Independence Avenue in Minsk City - between Victory Square and Kalinin Square

Belarusian State Archives of Scientific and Technical Documentation

Name of architectural work Date of construction and annotations Name of document Date of document and annotations Fond/Inventory number File number
Victory Square (before 1954 - Round Square) The architectural ensemble of the square began to take shape in the late 1930s, when two multi-storey, arch-shaped dwelling houses were constructed there in accordance with the Master Plan of 1938. The further development of the square was based on the Master Plan of 1946 (architects N. Androsov, N. Trakhtenberg, etc.), projects for apartment buildings (1950-1956, architects M. Barshch, L. and G. Aranauskases) and the square's improvement of 1954 (architect G. Zaborski). The reconstruction of the square was undertaken in 1985 and 2003. The photograph of the square No date 104/2 54
Monument to Soviet Army soldiers and partisans who perished in WWII to liberate Belarus from the Nazi invaders (Victory Square, formerly Round Square) 1954; project authors: people's architects of the USSR G. Zaborski and V. Korol, sculptors Z. Azgur, A. Bembel, K. Glebov and S. Selikhanov. Erected on a large stepped pedestal, the obelisk is crowned with the Order of Victory made of bronze and multicoloured mosaics. The lower rectangular foundation is embellished with 4 high reliefs and 4 bronze wreaths. The monument is faced with granite slabs of different colour and finish. The total height is 38 meters. At the base of the monument is the Eternal Flame Detail Design, Working Design 1952-1954 3/1-p 1459-1462
    Photographs of competition designs 1950-1951 51/1 246
    The photograph of the monument No date 51/1 247
Independence Avenue (formerly Stalin Avenue) by the beginning of the construction of the 2nd line of the avenue - from Victory Square towards Kalin Square   The photograph of the avenue 1953 127/1 25
  Project authors: honorary architect of the BSSR S.S. Musinski, V. Morokin and D. Kravtsova. The project is drawn up in accordance with the main provisions of the city's master plan. Design of the layout and development of the 2nd line of Lenin Avenue 1961 10/2 286, 287
Five-storey residential buildings for 128 and 115 apartments on Victory Square (formerly Round Square) 1939-1940 - construction, [1950] - restoration; project author architect R. Stoller. These semicircular buildings face the center of the square. National Cultural Heritage Object (2nd category) Project Statement and Working Design for the 128-apartment building 1946-1949 3/1 234-239, 247-248
    Detail-&-Working Design for the 115-apartment building 1947 3/1 247-248
Residential buildings on Victory Square (formerly Round Square) [the 1950s] National Cultural Heritage Object (2nd category) Photographs of the buildings 1949-1956 51/1 284
Five-storey residential buildings on Victory Square (formerly Round Square) (from the side of M. Gorki Park) 1953; project authors: professor, the BSSR state prize winner M.O. Barshch, architects L. and G. Aranauskases. National Cultural Heritage Object (2nd category) Project Statement, Detail Design and Working Design for the 5-storey apartment house on Kruglaia Square 1951-1953 3/1-p 994-1008
Residential building for 155 apartments on the corner of Independence Avenue and Varvasheni Street (formerly the Sovetskaia and Dolgobrodskaia streets) [the 1950s]; project author: honorary architect of the BSSR A.P. Bregman. Construction was begun in 1940. The architecture of the facades and the layout of shopping premises have remained in accordance with the initial project. Detail-&-Working Design 1947-1948 10/1 163-167
Residential building for 180 apartments with shopping premises on the corner of Independence Avenue and Kozlov Street (formerly the Sovetskaia and Dolgobrodskaia streets)   The photograph of the building 1940-1948 110/1 2
Five-storey residential building, partially elevated to seven storeys, for 180 apartments on the corner of Independence Avenue and Kozlov Street (formerly the Sovetskaia and Dolgobrodskaia streets) [the 1950s]; project author: professor, the BSSR state prize winner M.O. Barshch. Located mainly along the avenue, the building turns over the corners of Kozlov Street and Krasnozvezdnaia Street. Two passages divide the building into three parts - a 7-storey central part and two 5-storey corner parts. Project Statement, Detail Design, Working Design 1949-1954 3/1 856-875
Five-storey, with corner towers, residential building for 245 apartments on the corner of Independence Avenue and Kozlov Street (formerly the Sovetskaia and Dolgobrodskaia streets) [the 1950s]; project author: the BSSR state prize winner, professor M.O. Barshch. The building is designed in several sections. The highest section accentuates the corner of Independence Avenue and Kozlov Street as an important element in the city's layout. Project Statement, Detail Design 1949-1953 3/1 820-825
Ia. Kolas Square (formerly Komarovskaia Square) 1952- construction, project authors: M. Barshch, L. Matskevich, L. Arnauskas;
1956-1957 - improvement of the square, project author honorary architect of the BSSR G. Parsadanov. The square has a shape of a rectangular of 130 x 400 meters extended along Independence Avenue. In the centre of a large floor-type park there is a statue of the Belarusian national poet Ia. Kolas.
Project Statement, Explanatory Note 1956-1957 3/3 331-337
    The photograph of the square picturing the construction works 1958 51/1 274
Statue of Ia. Kolas 1972; project authors: honourary architects of the BSSR, the Lenin Prize winners L.M. Levin, Iu.M. Gradov, G.A. Zaborski; sculptor Z.I. Azgur. This is a focal point of Ia. Kolas Square. Layout and Explanatory Note concerning the square's improvement 1970-1972 10/1 2633-2642
Residential building for 110 apartments on the corner of Independence Avenue and Lunacharski Street (formerly Lenin Avenue and Derevoobdelochnaia Street) [1958-1960]; project author A. Dukhan Working Design 1957 3/3 606-609
Independence Avenue (formerly Stalin Avenue) from Ia.Kolas Square to Moscow Road Project authors: honorary architect of the BSSR G.A. Parsadanov, architects L.Ryminski, M. Gura, P. Gromov Project Statement, Explanatory Note (description of soils and hydrogeological state of the avenue) 1952-1953 3/3 303-305
  Project authors: S. Beliaev, S. Musinski, G.V. Sysoev, N.E. Trakhtenberg Project Statement, Design of Layout and Development, Explanatory Note concerning the layout and development of the avenue 1953 3/3 308-310
  Project author N.E. Trakhtenberg Project Statement for planting trees and gardens at the avenue 1953-1958 3/3 326-330
Independence Avenue in the section up to Ia.Kolas Square (formerly the Sovetskaia and Pushkinskaia streets, and Komarovskaia Square) [the 1950s]; project authors: architect M.T. Dobuzhinskaia and the honorary builder of the BSSR L.P. Mitskevich Grading Layout; Explanatory Note concerning the project statement for reconstruction 1948 10/1 58-59
Residential building for 158 apartments on Ia. Kolas Square (near the Stolichny Store) [the 1960s]; project author: honorary architect of the BSSR O.B. Ladygina Project Statement, Working Design 1959-1964 3/1 1693-1702
Printing House on Ia. Kolas Square (formerly Komarovskaia Square) 1958; project authors: honorary architects of the BSSR N. Shpigelman, and S. Botkovski Working drawings for reconstruction 1952-1965 18/1 652-665
Concert Hall of the Belarusian State Philharmonic Society (50, Independence Ave.) 1963; project author: honorary architect of the BSSR G. Benediktov. Embellished with a six-column portico this building is a dominant feature on Ia.Kolas Square. Project Statement, Working Design 1960-1965 3/1 1787-1803
Belarusian State University of Physical Education on Ia. Kolas Square (49, Independence Ave.) 1937-1938; project authors: honorary architect of the BSSR A.Bregman, architects A.Voinov, V.Muraviev. The building was initially designed as the House of Party Activists. The main facade is decorated with a curvilinear portico. The photograph of the building [1937-1938] 110/1 1
The Sports-Training Building of the Belarusian State University of Physical Education (formerly Belarusian State Institute of Physical Education) [the 1960s]; project authors: honorary architects of the BSSR S.S.Musinski, G.V.Sysoev, and Pavlovskaia.This building makes a single complex with a main, reconstructed building of the university Project Statement, Working Design 1954-1962 3/1 1866-1874
Residential building for 80 apartments with an extra 14-apartment premise on Independence Avenue (formerly Lenin Avenue) (near the University of Physical Education) [the 1960s]; project author: honorary author of the BSSR S.S. Musinski. The building is designed as a part of a single complex including the adjacent houses. Project Statement, Working Design 1955-1960 3/1 2258-2269
Minsk Radio Engineering College (formerly Radio Engineering Technical School) (62, Independence Ave.) 1958; project author: honorary architect of the BSSR L.M. Goldstein Project Statement, Working Design 1953-1955 3/1 1139-1145
Hospital No.1 (64, Independence Ave.) 1950. Reconstruction of buildings constructed before 1941. Working Design 1950-1951 10/1 1211-1220
The main building of the Belarusian National Technical University (formerly Belarusian Polytechnic Institute) (65, Independence Ave.) 1932 - beginning of construction, project author - architect G. Lavrov; 1950 - restoration, project authors: architects L. Ryminski and L. Usova. The architect N. Makletsova connected the separate buildings into one complex. After WWII the destroyed buildings were restored, the facades of the main building were newly designed. Project Statement, Detail Design, Working Design 1948-1953 10/1

3/1

914-986

385, 386

The main building of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus (66, Independence Ave.) 1939 - construction;
1949 - restoration, project author: professor, honorary worker in the Arts and Architecture of the BSSR I.G. Langbard. Construction was begun to the design by architect G. Lavrov. In 1934-1935 the design and construction supervision were commissioned on architect I.G. Langbard. He changed the spatial composition, connected the separate premises by the common entrance hall with three flights of stairs, and introduced a two-line colonnade which made the building more imposing and monumental.
Exterior Survey, Detail-&-Working Design 1945, 1947-1951 3/1 458-463, 465, 478-496
The Oktiabr Cinema (73, Independence Ave.) 1975; project authors: honorary architect of the BSSR V. Malyshev, architects S. Filimonov, V. Korzhenevski. This wide-screen cinema is accommodated for 1400 seats. Project Statement, working drawings 1966-1975 3/3 2500-2557
Belarusian Academy of Arts (formerly Belarusian State Institute of Theatre and Arts) (81, Independence Ave.) 1950 - construction; project author architect Ya. Shapiro Project Statement, Detail-&-Working Design 1947-1953 3/1 368-373
  [the 1970s] - reconstruction; project author architect M. Barsukov Reconstruction Project, Working Design 1970-1974 10/1 2643-2666
Residential apartment block for 80 apartments on Independence Avenue (formerly Lenin Avenue) [the 1960s]; project author architect N.V. Drozdov. The facade of the building is designed as an element of the ensemble of buildings located between the Surganov and Kalinin streets. Project Statement, Working Design 1959-1960 3/1 1703-1710
Residential apartment block for 116 apartments on the corner of Independence Avenue and Kalinin Street [the 1960s], project author architect N.V.Drozdov. The layout of residential floors is based on type models 1-433 for one, two, and three-room apartments. The facade of the building is designed as an element of the ensemble of buildings located between the Surganov and Kalinin streets, and makes a single composition with the facade of the adjacent 80-apartment block. Project Statement, Working Design 1959-1965 3/1 1718-1725
A complex of residential buildings (for 32-, 68-, 16-, and 40 apartments) on Independence Avenue in the area between Akademicheskaia Street and Cheluskintsev Park [the 1960s]; project authors: honorary architects of the BSSR S.S. Musinski, and G.V. Sysoev. The layout of these buildings is based on type model No.2 used for construction in the city of St.Petersburg (formerly Leningrad) Project Statement, Working Design 1955-1959 3/1 2857-2864
7-storey residential building for 42 apartments on the corner of Independence Avenue and Akademicheskaia Street [the 1960s]; project authors: honorary architects of the BSSR S.S. Musinski and G.V. Sysoev Project Statement, Working Design 1962-1963 10/1 1782-1789
Residential building for 80 apartments with an extra 16-apartment premise and shopping premises on Independence Avenue (formerly Lenin Avenue) 1964-1965; project authors: honorary authors of the BSSR S.S. Musinski, and G.V. Sysoev Working Design 1960-1962 10/3 100-110
Residential building for 105 apartments with shopping premises (Pervomaiski Department Store) (74, Independence Ave.) 1962-1964; project authors: honorary authors of the BSSR S.S. Musinski, and G.V. Sysoev. This dwelling house is designed as an element of the ensemble of buildings located between Surganov Street and Cheluskintsev Park. The total length of the building is 108 meters. Project Statement, Working Design 1960-1964 10/3 121-143
Residential building for 95 apartments with shopping premises (the Flowers Store) on Kalinin Square 1964;project authors: honorary authors of the BSSR S.S. Musinski, and G.V. Sysoev Project Statement, Working Design 1960-1963 10/3 144-154
Entrance to the Botanical Gardens [2nd half of the 1950s]; project authors: honorary authors of the BSSR S.S. Musinski, and G.V. Sysoev; architect L.O. Kadzhar Project Statement, Working Design 1956-1957 3/1

3/3

1475-1479

464

Botanical Gardens [the 1960s]; project authors of the gardens' improvement: architects K.I. Basov, Iu.V. Spit, etc. The Botanical Garden was laid out in 1932 on the site of the former agricultural exhibition and occupies the space of 100 hectares. Project Statement, Working Design of the gardens' improvement 1961-1965 3/1 1489-1510
Residential building for 112 apartments with shopping premises
("1000 Melochei" Store) (1, Kalinin Square)
1962; project authors: honorary architect of the BSSR G.V. Sysoev, architect D. Kudryavtsev, engineer N. Guleva. This monolithic 8-storey, U-shaped building is erected on ferroconcrete columns (first in the history of the Belarusian design). Raising above the adjacent area, the building is crowned with the high ornamented frieze in sgraffito. Project Statement, Working Design 1958-1961 3/1 1679-1689
Statue of M.I. Kalinin
(Kalinin Square)
1978; project authors: architect Iu.P. Grigoriev, sculptors A. and I. Glebov, V. Poliichuk. The total height of the monument is 11 meters. Detail-&-Working Design 1975-1976 122/1 395-398
Archival news
10 July 2019
BGANTD teamwork participates in a contest of designs for the best national print More >>
05 July 2019
The State Archives of Minsk Region posts a virtual exhibition of documents on 75th anniversary of Belarus’ liberation from the Nazi invaders More >>
04 July 2019
The State Archives of Brest Region presents an exhibition dedicated to 75th anniversary of Belarus’ liberation from the Nazi invaders More >>
04 July 2019
BelNIIDAD released “The norms of time and output standards for main activities performed at the state archives of the Republic of Belarus” More >>
02 July 2019
STV TV Channel shows footage about the creation of Victory Monument on basis of BGANTD documents More >>
  Facebook