The Archives in Grodno was founded on February 11, 1940 as a separate branch of the
Central Historical Archives of the Belarusian Soviet Socialist Republic (BSSR).
In 1960, the branch was reorganized as the Central State Historical Archives of the BSSR.
In May 1993, the Archives was renamed the Belarusian State Historical Archives, and from June 1995 it was known as the National Historical Archives in Grodno.
In September 1996, the Archives was reorganized as the National Historical Archives of Belarus in Grodno.